By opting in to become a Climate Optimist and giving us your email address, you are confirming to us your participation in a global campaign to help raise awareness of the issue of climate change. We’ll use your email address occasionally to send you updates on climate action, climate news and campaign updates, but we will never pass it on to anyone else. The reason you choose to opt in to the campaign is also important to us, as it will help create a data map of what people all over the world think about the challenges of climate change. You will always have an opportunity to opt-out of email communications in any emails that we send to you.
Futerra Sustainability Communications Ltd (“We”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is Futerra Sustainability Communications Ltd.
We will collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. This is information about you that you give us by filling in forms on our site https://www.climateoptimist.org (our site) or by corresponding with us by e-mail or otherwise. It includes information you provide when you opt-in to receive emails for us about Climate Optimism, make a pledge, register to use our site, subscribe to our service, participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our site, and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, e-mail address, opt-in – your reason for being a climate optimist and country.
- Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site we will automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform.
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time), page response times, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
The information collected by cookies enables us to understand the use of our site, including the number of visitors we have, the pages viewed per session, time exposed to particular pages etc. This in turn helps us to provide you with a better experience, since we can evaluate the level of interest in the content of our website and tailor it accordingly. We will not attempt to personally identify you from your IP address unless required to as a matter of law or regulation or in order to protect our, or our other customers’, rights.
Most browsers automatically accept cookies. You can set your browser options so that you will not receive cookies and you can also delete existing cookies from your browser. However, you may find that some parts of the site will not function properly if you disable cookies.
Uses made of the information
By opting in to become a Climate Optimist and giving us your email address, you are confirming to us your participation in a global campaign to help raise awareness of the issue of climate change. We’ll use your email address occasionally to send you updates on climate action, climate news and campaign updates, but we will never pass it on to anyone else. You will always have an opportunity to opt-out of email communications in any emails that we send to you.
The reason you choose to opt in to the campaign is also important to us, as it will help create a data map of what people all over the world think about the challenges of climate change.
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to email you with news and campaign updates from time to time.
- to collate anonymous information about your opt-in reason for being a climate optimist at an aggregate level, such as the number and reason for pledges per country and whether pledges were shared via social media. This data may be used externally for the purposes of promoting the campaign but shall remain anonymized at all times.
- Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
Disclosure of your information
You agree that we have the right to share your personal information with:
- Any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006 and
- Selected third parties including:
- The Climate Group (our partner in the Climate Optimist campaign) and
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site;
Where we store your personal data
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act.